Tuesday 23 October 2018

Parents Night - Parents Evening


Whatever your school calls it, Parent's Evening can be a tortuous experience for some and a fun experience for other parents !!  Certainly I was down with a cold this evening but as I sat perusing the Dux board and the Captains board I can see names from when I was at school. My family have attended the same school I went to.  Really in many cases they should just go the whole hog and put up a Dux list of successful parents ! Why not !!

eg The parents you see who sit down to meet the teachers to hear how wonderful their kids are !! or the parent tonight who was having a conversation about one of their daughters who just had to get all As to compete with her older sibling ! They should all be up there in gold letters ! Well done !!

Now... do these parents realise that some other pupils just really don't care what marks they get? How can we instil in our children that its good to get a good mark? At least to get the best mark you can get. Or do we really want to ? Is it a healthy situation to be stressing over whether you will get all As... ? I have to say no ...
Image result for goose wikimedia
but ...

as a reasonably conscientious pupil myself when I was at school, who would barely have said boo to a goose (as they say... and what is that all about anyway - who would say boo to a goose .... ), but who did have their occasional moment of silliness at school but generally tried to do well ... it is hard to sit through a parents' night to hear about your child who appears to be genetically of a completely different nature to yourself and actually who perhaps shall we say has a lot of character....  
Ah well it is time to go out now and forget it all !! I am heading out for a once a year catch up meal with old school friends - one featured on the Dux board and one featured on the Captains board !! And the other is like me - we didn't get on any boards and didn't get to be Prefects either !! I'm not bitter !! honest !! I did get her a "Perfect" badge done in Prefect badge style recently as a pressie !! Because let's face it we are all perfect in our own ways !!

No comments:

Post a Comment